Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Hacking--To Care Or Not To Care...


I recall a couple of months ago one of the biggest hacking instances in the history of Stardoll. I remember looking at the screenshots of everything that was stolen from Jenna (emorox4eva) and thinking "Wow, how could she be so stupid?!" I found it difficult to sympathize with the claims that a Trojan virus was to blame and that she hadn't given out her password (or trusted someone just a little too much), considering 9 times out of 10 that's what happens. The other 1 time out of 10 is probably someone that succeeded after putting forth the effort to guess your overly simplistic password. But to be completely honest, I kind of shied away from blogs at that point in time, and it was all for one reason. I didn't care.

Like I said in a former post, MizzMileyCyrus9 has always been able to keep my attention, but this isn’t about her. The situation wasn't of interest because an elite had been hacked, but instead it was because of HOW it had been done.

I got a less than interesting guestbook comment yesterday from another desperate girl that had been hacked and wanted me to tell the world. (Just for the record, don’t buy anything from Love_Halimake!) But seriously, the "Please help me! So-And-So hacked me!!!" story has been told a million times before and frankly it’s old. Someone offers you a makeover or "top up" of some sort and since they're superstar, you assume they're innocent, why is that?? Next thing you know you're money is gone along with half your closet and you're wondering why no one cares. It’s your fault.

Giving out your pass (aka your own stupidity), is what got you in that situation. That's been the case for years. But now, the idea of being able to attach a virus to someone’s computer and having free reign over anything you wanted, is like discovering a whole new world. So why has hacking gotten so bad these days? Because thieves worldwide started paying attention.

How many teenagers honestly know how to put together a decent virus? How many of us even know what it really is?!? And not just any virus, a virus with the ability to locate a specific computer, then after tracking EVERYTHING that person has typed, they can find that one moment in time when they put in their password for Stardoll in the midst of everything else from that day. People are afraid of that. They cower in fear at the idea of someone virtually standing over their shoulder and watching their every click without the user having even the slightest idea. I find it hard to believe, and sometimes I've wondered if Reece was just Jenna's excuse to less than gracefully step out of the spotlight. This post isn't to address MMC9 or his credibility. Rather it's to address my opinion on one of Stardoll's most talked about topics, hacking.

Believe it or not, regardless of how disgraceful it is, hacking someone is probably one of the easiest things to do on Stardoll. I know, I know it sucks! But for some people it must be easier than upgrading to superstar or else their desperation wouldn't lead them to try it. But the reality is, superstars are more likely to hack you than non superstars, you can bitch and moan about that statement all you want. A non ss could possibly steal your account but eventually your membership will expire and they'll grow bored with their inability to upgrade a stolen user. In those cases, you may be able to convince or bribe them to give it back. If a superstar hacks you, chances are, they'll steal half your shit and deny any claims of involvement. What's the probability that you'll get it back in comparison with the other probability that they'll just block your ass and that's the end of it? Even with the "old school method" of offering top ups or makeovers, little girls still get hacked. Its like blatantly asking for your password but you wouldn't believe how many people fall for it.

So after the fact, why do you expect me to "help" you?? Why do you expect me to go out of my way to assist someone that was ignorant and gullible enough to put themselves in that situation? I've only been hacked once. It was long ago, they took 1200sd and I was upset but I accepted the fact that I was to blame for thinking some non ss noob was my friend on her "backup account" and she'd give me a makeover. I always promised myself that if I was ever hacked again I'd never come back to Stardoll.

Hacking is a touchy subject, it always will be. Most of us have been there and done that so we have our various opinions. But in this girl’s opinion, if you were dumb enough to give out any information that led to that hacking, you in turn deserved it.

Your rares and the ridiculous amount of money you've invested into your account doesn’t control you, some people seem to forget that Stardoll is simply a game and few will win while others lose. It's sad to see little girls so broken up over the mistakes they've made for themselves. But hey, that's life.


-ebonymeme


1 comments:

Halima.Addou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

ptp